Why do I need OpenSceneryX?
- If you don’t install 3rd party scenery packages or add-ons for X-Plane®, you don’t need OpenSceneryX.
- If you only install scenery packages from the X-Plane® Gateway, and no add-ons, you don’t need OpenSceneryX.
- Otherwise, because a very large number of 3rd party scenery packages and some 3rd party add-ons developed for X-Plane® use OpenSceneryX, if you download a package from x-plane.org or another website, it is quite likely you will need to install OpenSceneryX to see the package or add-on at its best.
- Finally, if you are a scenery developer yourself, OpenSceneryX could save you a lot of time as it contains a large number of pre-made, instantly usable items to enrich your scenery package.
Can OpenSceneryX be used in X-Plane® version xxx?
OpenSceneryX is compatible with all versions of X-Plane® from 8.6 onwards, including X-Plane® 10 and 11.
How do I install OpenSceneryX?
Take a look at our instruction videos on YouTube for new users:
As a word of warning, it seems there are a couple of places elsewhere on the Internet that have taken a copy of the library and are hosting it (and in some cases charging for the privilege of downloading it).
We strongly suggest you avoid doing this for the following reasons:
- We can’t vouch for the content, so these downloads may contain viruses or other issues
- The versions we have seen are out of date, so you won’t get the latest updates
How do I update OpenSceneryX?
If you previously downloaded the installer, just re-run it again. It will detect any changes and update your installation. If you have deleted the installer, just download it again from the home page of the www.opensceneryx.com website
How often do I need to update OpenSceneryX?
Keep an eye on the news section on this site, our Twitter feed, r/Xplane on Reddit, and the x-plane.org forums as we post updates to all these locations when we release a new version. If you’re not sure whether you have the latest, just re-run the installer and it will sort out your install.
Why is the installer a different version to the library?
Updates to the installer and the library are released at different times. Back in the mists of time, the version numbers used to be in sync, but because there are more library releases than installer releases, nowadays the installer version is always lower than the library.
When you run it, the installer will tell you if it is out of date and will ask you to download a new version. The latest installer is always available from the website home page.
I have several X-Plane folders, what do I do?
You have two options:
- Run the installer multiple times, when it asks you for your X-Plane location then change it to the X-Plane install you want to update.
- Run the installer once, then when it has finished go to the X-Plane folder you installed into, look inside the Custom Scenery folder and copy the OpenSceneryX folder from here into the Custom Scenery folder in your other X-Plane install.
I’ve heard library xxx is now included with OpenSceneryX, can I delete it?
The short answer is yes. The following third party libraries are now fully incorporated into OpenSceneryX, so you no longer need to keep them in your Custom Scenery folder:
- RE Library by Richard C Elliott (einstein)
- FlyAgi Vegetation Library by FlyAgi
- FlyAgi Wind Turbine Library by FlyAgi
However, please note that some of these libraries are still being developed and extended by the original developer. We will try to keep up to date with any changes, but if you want to use a feature that has been recently added to a third party library, you may need to install it until that feature gets incorporated with OpenSceneryX.
The macOS installer is displaying a permission error
If the installer displays the following error:
There was an error creating the local file, do you have permission to write to the X-Plane folder structure?
Try following these instructions from Laminar Research, the developers of X-Plane, even if your X-Plane folder is not in /Applications.
The installer crashes on Windows 7
Firstly, ensure you have Service Pack 1 installed, and your system is fully updated. If you are still having problems then try right-clicking the .exe, choose Properties, and click the Compatibility tab, then choose to run the application in Compatibility Mode. Also try running it as an Administrator (right-click the application and select ‘Run as Administrator‘). If it still doesn’t work then unfortunately you may not be able to use the installer on your system. Either upgrade to Windows 10 or get in touch.
The installer doesn’t run on Linux
Please ensure you have the prerequisite libraries installed in your distro. System requirements are listed here.
I’m a scenery developer, how do I use OpenSceneryX?
Download the latest developer pack from here: – full instructions explaining how to use the library are included. Also included is a complete PDF reference manual with screenshots of every item in the library.
We also have a series of videos available on YouTube to help scenery developers use OpenSceneryX: